The client is responsible for facilitating environmental compliance assessments at sites nationwide; this involved on-field inspections or reviews of previous assessments by field agents and typically they would note down the findings manually on paper and enter them in once they reach a node which has a computer. This resulted in rework, error prone observations or missing out on some critical observation decreasing the overall assessment effectiveness. In the case of field reviews of previous assessments to monitor compliance action progress, it was very difficult to gather and find relevant previous data when looking at a specific previous issue.
iLink Solution and Contribution
Implemented a handheld/tablet based software system which can work in both offline and online modes enabling the field inspectors to use a handheld to note down their observations. The software makes it easy to download and sort hundreds relevant record data by location, issue etc. (with photos where applicable) before the site visits and helps execute the review plan. Once the inspector has noted down his observations on the device by updating the status and notes of the downloaded records, uploading to the web application on the central servers is easily completed by connecting to the internet from the base node.
- Reduced manual data entry to minimum resulting in high data accuracy
- Reduced maintenance cost and increased maintenance
- 24 X 7 access from any PC to the corresponding web applications
- Secure and encrypted communication between client and server
- Simplified process and reduced hours
- Mobile: Microsoft Windows Mobile 1.1 and 2.0 platform; Java Abstract Windowing Toolkit (AWT) - JDK 1.5 (Tablet PC) & JDK 1.3 (Pocket PC 2003)
- Server: ASP.NET 1.1, SQL Server 2012/2008/2005, XML (web services)