What is SharePoint Migration and Sharepoint Upgrade?
A SharePoint Migration and Upgrade can take many forms but mainly it is an existing web-based solution whose functionality and content can be replicated and enhanced using SharePoint to better address new business needs and challenges. These existing solutions can be Intranet, Extranet, and/or Internet focus solutions, but not limited to, and can be based on a Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (MOSS 2007) predecessor (i.e. SPS2003, MCMS 2002). SharePoint’s rich feature set provides a flexible platform that allows one to rapidly address new business climate changes and reality.
What are the organization problems?
- Lack of industry knowledge or new version expertise in how to successfully upgrade and follow industry best practices.
- Data and documents exist in many areas (i.e. file shares) and need to be migrated to SharePoint efficiently and without any data loss.
Most Common SharePoint Migration and Sharepoint Upgrade Projects that we have worked on
- Upgrade from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013
- Upgrade from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010
- Upgrade from SharePoint 2003 to SharePoint 2007
- Upgrade from 32bit platform to 64bit platform
- Upgrade from Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) to Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (MOSS)
- Upgrade SQL Server from 2000 to 2005 to 2008
- Upgrade SQL Server to a cluster
- Change / Add servers to the SharePoint farm including multiple Web Front Ends (WFEs) or a dedicated Index Server.
Following are some of the key tasks that will be performed during a SharePoint migration/SharePoint upgrade project:
- Determine the right approach
- Review supported and unsupported upgrade/migration paths
- Upgrade process overview sessions and sign-off
- How search features, SSP, etc are affected by upgrade
- Review upgrade best practices with client
- Review supported topologies with client
- Review system requirements for upgrade
- Estimate how long the upgrade process will take and the amount of space needed
- Create communication plan
- Use a trial upgrade to find potential issues2
- Determine how to handle customizations
- Develop new custom site definitions and create upgrade definition files
- Execute pre-upgrade, upgrade, validation and troubleshooting steps
- Reports generation